I love pumpkin pie, so I bake it pretty often. But one day, when I was about to start making my pie, I found that I had run out of evaporated milk. That’s when I started looking for other alternatives.
Luckily, I found many easy and best substitutes, such as heavy, condensed, and powdered milk with sugar and many more.
Stick around the article and find the alternative that suits you best.
What is Evaporated Milk?
Evaporate milk is a kind of milk where 60% of the water evaporates because of heating. Then it is ready for packaging, goes for homogenization, and canned later. A standard can of evaporated milk is 12 ounces; most recipes need the whole can of evaporated milk.
Substitutes for Evaporated Milk in Pumpkin Pie
Actually, there are a lot of alternatives to evaporated milk that you may use; you only need to choose one.
Keep in mind that a 12-ounce can equal 1½ cups of evaporated milk. So use one of the following if you want to make pumpkin pie without evaporated milk.
Replace 1.5 cups evaporated milk with –
- 1½ cup milk + 1 egg
- 1½ cup milk + 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup of half-and-half
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1.5 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cream +1.5 cup regular milk
- 1.5 cup plain yogurt
- 1.5 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1.5 cup coconut milk
Tip : You can also use diet milk instead of regular milk. It contains less fat than normal milk.
If you have a few of these ingredients but not enough of one to use in place of evaporated milk, you can combine some of the alternatives listed above. Consider this:
- 1 cup yogurt + 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup yogurt +1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup cream +1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cream +1 cup coconut milk
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Without Evaporated Milk
You will need the following things if you want to make pumpkin pie without evaporated milk. The list includes-
- All-purpose flour: As a base ingredient, you will need all-purpose flour to give the pie a basic structure.
- Granulated sugar: Next, you will need granulated sugar to make the pie sweeter.
- Salt: Add a pinch of salt for taste.
- Butter: Add unsalted butter, and it will make your pie tasty and delicious.
- Water: You will also need water to mix the dough and make it hydrated.
How to Make Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie
For making pumpkin pie, you will need-
- Rolling pin
- Hand mixer
- Mixing bowl
- Pie weights (optional for blind baking)
- Pie plate
For making dairy-free pie, you have to use dairy-free products like coconut milk, vegan butter, and whip cream with other ingredients. Follow the steps.
- First, make the pie crust.
- Set it on a pie plate.
- Bake it in an oven at 350????F for 40- 45 mins.
- For the filling, take a big bowl and mix all the ingredients using a food processor or mixer.
- Remove the baked pie from the oven.
- Add the filing at the top of the pie.
- Serve it and enjoy.
How to Make Gluten-Free Crustless Pumpkin Pie
To make gluten-free pumpkin pie, You will need-
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 (15 ounces) can of pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ cup chopped pecans (Optional)
Follow the steps.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Beat all the ingredients like eggs, sugar, cinnamon, milk, salt, pumpkin, and milk together, make a crust, and set it in a pie dish. Use sprinkles on it if you want.
Step 3: Bake the pie for 15 minutes in the first slot, then reduce the temperature to 350F and bake the pie again in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
Step 4: Then remove the pie once it is baked, add the filling on the top, and serve it on a serving plate.
What is Pumpkin Pie?
Pumpkin pie is a famous Thanksgiving dessert in the U.S.A. and Canada. It is a sweet dish with a tart and creamy filling on it. Pumpkin pie is normally made in the fall season when pumpkin is used as a symbol of the harvest period.
Heavy Cream vs Evaporated Milk
Heavy cream normally contains more calories and fat than evaporated milk. Those who have high cholesterol can use evaporated milk instead of heavy cream. Using heavy cream instead of evaporated milk does not alter the taste much. The texture will remain the same. So, in a sense, heavy cream can be a great substitute for evaporated milk in dishes like pumpkin pie.
See? I didn’t lie. There are many ingredients that can replace evaporated milk in your pumpkin pie. And I am sure many of them are sitting in your pantry and fridge. So if you are determined to bake your pie, nothing can stop you.
I hope this article helped you, even if only a bit. I will be coming again with other solutions to your new problems. Till then, adios.